Open 8am till 5pm Call: 0117 932 1960

Skip permit

Do you need a skip permit?

If you really can’t have your skip on your garden or driveway then a skip permit or skip licence is required if your skip needs to be placed on the road/public highway. It is issued by the local council and Tom will arrange this for you when your order your skip.

Please read through our Skip Permit FAQ’s for any more information.

Skip Permit FAQ's

Choose a skip

tom and skips

Skip permit FAQ's

A skip permit is issued by your local council. Depending on where you live, it could be the town council or the county council who issues the skip permit.

For Bristol £80 and Bath £85.

A skip permit typically lasts for 28 days for Bristol and Bath.

Bristol and Bath charge more for retrospective permits if the skip did not have a permit to begin with but could also issue a fine if your skip is found on the road without a skip permit.

Not from the Council. It is up to the skip operator to have the correct insurance and it a legal requirement to be covered up to £5 million.

Skips placed on the road must comply with the The Builders' Skips (Markings) Regulations 1984 with specific rules on markings, and size which means a skip must be no more than 5 metres long and 2 metres wide.

Skips can often be fly tipped and it is your responsibility to ensure the skip is a level load and complies with your permit. If this is a problem with fly tipping call Tom to arrange an earlier collection.

When a skip is on the road

When your skip has to be on the road it has to be lit at night and have cones. It needs to be within a 7.5 metre x 2 metre space with the skip being no more than 5 metres. Check out the lengths of skips on our skip sizes page. Most skips fit within this space.

skip on highway labelled

…need more answers?